Tuesday, 8 March 2011

The packaging malaise

I am really sick of the packaging industry. I believe very strongly that there isn't enough innovation happening here. They are really not concerned about how a consumer is going to pick, carry, open, close or preserve the product. Organizations believe that they have done their job & are doing a favor by having the product reach the consumer. I think that's because no one has challenged organizations enough on their packaging. People question the quality of the product which is inside the package, rather than the product itself. I have had several friends who have won accolades for proposing changes into packaging in their organizations if it involved cost-cutting.

I wonder why innovation & cost-cutting in the packaging area cannot go hand in hand. Starting from packaging of cheese, yogurt, milk; to shirts, electronic items, and consumer durables - there is a malaise.

I wish to see things changing in this arena, with cost-cuts getting their due preference. We need better brains & specialists in this area or maybe we need organizations to give some extra leash for innovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment